Karthika masam or Kartik month is the most auspicious month amongst all 12 Hindu months. According to Hindus, pujas, rituals, Kartik month give them great pleasure and happiness in life because this is the most favorite month for both of the Supreme Gods Lord Vishnu and Shiva.
Devotees perform month long Vratham known as Kartik Vrat. During this Vratham they keep fast and perform special pujas and rituals to the god. Chaturmasya Vratham ends in the kartik month. River baths (Kartik Snanam) are also considered auspicious during Kartik masam. Kartik somvar is dedicated to god Shiva and people worship him on the Mondays of this month.
- Lord Vishnu goes to sleep on Ashadha suddha ekadashi and wakes-up on Karthika suddha ekadashi.
- Lord Shiva kílled Tripurasuras on Karthika pournami and protected the world.
- In this month Ganga (Godess of river Ganges) enters in to all rivers, canals, ponds and wells and makes them as pious as Ganga.
- Ayyappa deeksha is also taken in Karthika masam and is continued up to Makara Sankranthi (Jan 15th)
- Waking up early in Brahmi muhartham (4.00A.M)
- Taking bath in rivers or ponds remembering Ganga
- Shiva puja / Damodara (Vishnu) puja
- Lighting Akasha deepam on sun-set
- Understanding Karthika puranam